Thursday, February 19, 2009

Texas Taco Ring

My camera and have decided to try to work together again. After a long talk and a bit of discovery on how we each work, (frankly, that consisted of me finding out how to get the macro function to work) I think we may be able to work out our differences. I hope you are able to see a little bit of improvement in the photos. (If not, wait a little while until I am able to get that SLR I'm drooling over.) We're still having a disagreement on where to focus and why.

I found the inspiration for this recipe in the February issue of Taste of Home. It looked yummy, but the ingredients seemed a bit bland. Besides that, you were supposed to make meatballs for the ring. Meatballs! They take way to long to form and then bake. I really don't have time for grimy hands and 50 baby balls of meat. So, that is how TOH's Taco Meatball Ring became Texas Taco Ring.

Meet my little, chicken friend.
Since he isn't camera shy, like me, he gets the honor of naming all the dishes on this blog.

I decided to put this up first so you could drool for a bit before you continue on.
Did you notice the melty, gooey cheese?
The little leaf of cilantro? Oh!!! That crispy crust! And the Jalapeno!!!
Hold on while I go cut myself another piece......


Start off with 1/2 -1 pound of ground pork. Yep! Ground pork. It is sooo cheap compared to the extra lean beef and seems to be just as lean. Most of the time, I have to add olive oil to keep it from sticking to the pan. If you know of some horrible reason why I shouldn't be using it, feel free to let me know. I just can't promise that I will stop using it... It's so yummy and did I mention Cheap?!
I probably used only half of this. I put the leftover in the fridge for a taco later.



Once the meat is browned, add a packet of taco seasoning.
I prefer the Hot Taco Mix from McCormick.
Now, be honest. Were you surprised?
Did you even know they made Hot Taco Mix?



Pour in the 3/4 cup of water the package calls for.






Stir it up and wait till all the liquid is evaporated.



In the meantime....

Add Image
Open up two cans of crescent rolls.
Or, get your hubby or kids to open it for you.
Which comes in very handy should you have a fear of these
exploding time bombs disguised as helpful, bready shortcuts.
I think they are an evil plot to make mother's hearts across America stop
when they POP open with the smallest of tear in the packaging.
I tell you - that little dough boy is dangerous!


Once you have given yourself CPR in order to restart your heart,
lay the triangles on a pizza sheet with the smallest ends pointing away from the center.
Over lap the wide ends by a couple of inches.




When you are finished, it should look like a
giant sunflower or a child's drawing of the sun.



Smear on some refried beans - straight from the can.
Nothing should be too good for your family!




Top the refried beans with a 1/2 pound of the taco meat.
Be careful to keep the meat on the overlapped edges.




Top with cheese. I think I used about a cup and a half.
Are you beginning to look forward to the coming goodness?



Add some onions, if you like.
I obviously like them, so here they go!




Top that with fresh cilantro.
If you are one of those people who think
cilantro tastes like soap, I just feel sorry for you.
You are missing out on one of the greatest herbs ever.



You knew it was coming. Jalapenos!
How could I make a Taco ring without them?
That would be sooo un-Texan.



Now, carefully tuck the points under the inside edge of the dough.
I discovered that it was easier if I used a butter knife to lift the dough from the pan.





Bake for 15-20 minutes in a 400 degree oven. Or until it is golden brown.





I suggest that you serve it immediately.
That stretchy, gooey cheese is hard to resist.



Texas Taco Ring
1/2 lb of ground meat
one package Taco mix
3/4 cup water
2 tubes of Crescent rolls
3/4 cup refried beans
1 1/2 cups grated colby jack cheese
1/4 onion, chopped (optional)
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped (optional)
1/4 cup sliced jalapenos (optional)
Brown ground meat in skillet. Add 1/2 of package of taco mix and 3/4 cup water.
(If using 1 lb of meat add entire package and 3/4 cup of water.)
Let simmer until all water has evaporated.
Meanwhile, place crescents on a greased, pizza pan with small end pointing out.
Overlap top edges by 1 1/2 - 2 inches.
Layer refried beans, taco meat, and cheese along inside edge.
Top with desired vegetables.
Bring points over layers and tuck under inside edge.
Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
Enjoy! Take a Bite for me!













3 comments:

  1. Wow! Seriously, Wow. This...I'm making this. This week. Hubby's friends come over about once a month and I make dinner. This looks perfect! The pork is better than beef. I'm with you on that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for sharing! We are making this!

    ReplyDelete